How is a Datrium DVX different from a traditional storage array?
First of all, a Datrium DVX is neither a traditional array nor a traditional hyper-converged solution.!
When talking about a Datrium Storage DVX, we are talking about a Server Flash Storage System:
- No need for expensive storage controllers (RAID, dedupe, …)
- Storage typical tasks are handled by the hosts, once DiESL is installed
- Utilizes server-side flash (BYOD) for caching
- Buy MLC, TLC, cMLC SSDs off Amazon or get it from your nearest consumer electronics store.
- Backend storage for persistent storage
- Scale performance linear
- Adding hosts, adds performance
- Stop spending $$$ on expensive storage vendor upgrades
- Reduced “neighbor noise”
- Each ESXi host runs its own data services
- Local server cache, no pooling of SSDs across ESXi clusters
- Stop wasting your time managing LUNs, start managing VMs
- vMotion VMs to a host with more flash headroom for better performance
- Per-VM monitoring and VVOL ready